Brazil - Santa Helena
full body, sweet, nutty
|notes||hazelnut, chocolate, caramel|
|profile||full body, smooth, long finish|
|region||Carmo de Minas, Serra da Mantiqueira|
|farm||Fazenda Santa Helena|
|producer||Fazenda Santa Helena|
|importer||West Coast Coffee Traders|
Fazenda Santa Helena is located in Carmo de Minas, in the south of Minas Gerais, in the Serra da Mantiqueira region. It has an altitude of 950 to 1,300 masl. Amazing soil quality and exceptional climate for the production of specialty coffees. Not to mention the farms well kept natural surroundings being totally preserved to deliver breathtaking landscapes for visitors. The family is in the fourth generation of coffee producers, Ernane and his sister Eleny manage the farm. The farm is not mechanized, so all crop management is done by hand. This ends up generating a higher cost in production, but shows through in the high quality they produce because of the extra care that has been taken during all stages or production.
Developed in Brazil, Catucai is an Arabica-Robusta hybrid variety that results from a cross between Catuai and Icatu. Depending on the variety of its parental Catuai (Red Catuai or Yellow Catuai), Catucai can exist in yellow or red forms.
Catucai is well-known for its high yielding characteristics and vigorous growth. Both red and yellow Catucai have a small stature, but red Catucai trees are slightly taller than yellow Catucai trees. While both types are resistant to leaf rust disease, red Catucai is adaptable to moderate water deficit.
Weekly ordering deadline is Tuesday at 9am. Orders placed before this time are roasted, packaged and shipped by Wednesday. All orders received after this time are subject to shipping the following week depending on overflow.
Our current shipping rates are as follows:
Local Delivery Rates within 2km
$5.00 for orders between $0-$20
$2.50 for orders between $20-$40
FREE for orders over $40
Canadian Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$36
$10 for orders between $36-$75
FREE for orders over $75
US Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$100
FREE for orders over $100
Biotrē™ 2.0 has outer layers are made from wood pulp and cellulose from wood pulp. In Biotrē™ 2.0 with Natural Kraft paper on the outside, the outer layers make up approximately 60% of the material by weight and have been shown to break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks when tested using conditions from a test method called ASTM D6868. The interior, sealable layer in Biotrē™ 2.0 is made of a plant-based, renewable resource, sugar cane. This is a durable i.e., non-biodegradable, layer made from renewable plant sources. The greenhouse gas CO2 is absorbed and reduced during the plant’s growth.
Biotrē™ takes a comprehensive approach to being environmentally friendly.
- Waste Reduction – Biotrē™ can reduce the amount of packaging that ends up in long term waste storage like a landfill.
- Biotrē™ 2.0 – with the outer layers breaking down naturally in a composting environment in a relatively short period of time, packages can be processed in a home compost to convert 60% of material (Biotrē™ 2.0 are not recommended for municipal or industrial composting). The inner layer can be removed from compost if found and disposed of with normal trash. 60% less material goes to the landfill.
- Climate Change – The plant-based components that go into Biotrē™ (wood pulp, sugar cane, and corn) absorb the greenhouse gas CO2 through natural plant respiration prior to being used to make Biotrē™ packaging. Absorbing and reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere helps stem the tide of global climate change.
- Natural Resources - Biotrē™ preserves our natural resources by reducing the use of finite fossil fuel and mineral resources and promoting the use of cyclical, sustainable sources. While most barrier packaging is made from almost exclusively petroleum-based plastics or aluminum foil, Biotre® film layers consist of anywhere for 60% to nearly 100% renewable plants.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh