Guatemala - SWP Decaf Carrizal
sweet, botanical, medium body
|notes||cherry, almond, caramel, milk chocolate|
|profile||sweet, balanced, medium body|
|varietal||Caturra, Bourbon, Catuai, Villa Sarchi, Pacas|
|process||Swiss Water Process|
|region||New Oriente, Antigua|
|importer||West Coast Coffee Traders|
Finca Carrizal has a very special place in Ricardo Zelaya's heart as it was his first ever farm. In 1986, at just 21 years old he bought his own piece of land right next to his family's farm. He purchased it with a 45-year-old partner that used to be a good friend of his father, little did they know they became great friends as well! Ricardo learned a great deal from his partner and vice versa. In this farm he was able to experiment first hand with everything he had learned in his studies, from agronomic practices, to building his first wet mill. Still today, this is the farm where all the nurseries come from to supply the other farms he manages and owns. With rain almost 8 months of the year and amazing soil, the baby plants can grow strong and adapt when transported to other farms to be planted. This farm is the most difficult one to work with, it's located in the Northwest part of Guatemala and takes a challenging 6-9 hours drive to get there. Socially, the farm maintains a primary school of 97 children and includes a computer lab for the youth of the surrounding area.
Weekly ordering deadline is Tuesday at 9am. Orders placed before this time are roasted, packaged and shipped by Wednesday. All orders received after this time are subject to shipping the following week depending on overflow.
Our current shipping rates are as follows:
Local Delivery Rates within 2km
$5.00 for orders between $0-$20
$2.50 for orders between $20-$40
FREE for orders over $40
Canadian Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$36
$10 for orders between $36-$75
FREE for orders over $75
US Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$100
FREE for orders over $100
Biotrē™ 2.0 has outer layers are made from wood pulp and cellulose from wood pulp. In Biotrē™ 2.0 with Natural Kraft paper on the outside, the outer layers make up approximately 60% of the material by weight and have been shown to break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks when tested using conditions from a test method called ASTM D6868. The interior, sealable layer in Biotrē™ 2.0 is made of a plant-based, renewable resource, sugar cane. This is a durable i.e., non-biodegradable, layer made from renewable plant sources. The greenhouse gas CO2 is absorbed and reduced during the plant’s growth.
Biotrē™ takes a comprehensive approach to being environmentally friendly.
- Waste Reduction – Biotrē™ can reduce the amount of packaging that ends up in long term waste storage like a landfill.
- Biotrē™ 2.0 – with the outer layers breaking down naturally in a composting environment in a relatively short period of time, packages can be processed in a home compost to convert 60% of material (Biotrē™ 2.0 are not recommended for municipal or industrial composting). The inner layer can be removed from compost if found and disposed of with normal trash. 60% less material goes to the landfill.
- Climate Change – The plant-based components that go into Biotrē™ (wood pulp, sugar cane, and corn) absorb the greenhouse gas CO2 through natural plant respiration prior to being used to make Biotrē™ packaging. Absorbing and reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere helps stem the tide of global climate change.
- Natural Resources - Biotrē™ preserves our natural resources by reducing the use of finite fossil fuel and mineral resources and promoting the use of cyclical, sustainable sources. While most barrier packaging is made from almost exclusively petroleum-based plastics or aluminum foil, Biotre® film layers consist of anywhere for 60% to nearly 100% renewable plants.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh