Colombia - Las Margaritas Pacamara
bright, complex, fruity
|notes||plum, passionfruit, nutmeg|
|profile||bright, sweet, medium body|
|region||Caicedonia, Valle del Cauca|
|producer||Cafe Granja La Esperanza|
Las Margaritas is owned by siblings, Rigoberto and Luis Eduardo Herrera, third-generation coffee producers, who come from a long-standing coffee-producing family. Their grandparents started their careers in coffee in 1945 at Potosi farm. After Juan Antonio Herrera and his wife Blanca Ligia Correa purchased the land with existing Typica plants, they added three more cultivars: Red Bourbon, Yellow Bourbon, and Caturra. It was then that Cafe Granja La Esperanza began.
When Rigoberto and Luis took over the family operation in the late '90s, they took on the labor-intensive job of pivoting the farms to organic production. Shortly after taking over, they purchased the land that is now Finca La Esperanza and expanded their organic coffee production.
Rigoberto and Luis have done major renovations to the farms during the past 30 years of ownership and management, planting new, exotic varieties throughout the 52 producing hectares of Potosi Farm. At Las Margaritas, they produce classic Colombian varieties like Caturra, Colombia, Tabi. As well as beautiful exotics such as Geisha, Sidra, San Juan, Mandela, SL28 and more.
On top of industry-leading farm practices, they're also innovating the world of coffee processing, constantly exploring new techniques and processes to bring their coffees to a whole other level.
Granja la Esperanza has nearly 5 hectares of Sudan Rume planted at their Las Margaritas farm, nearby to many other exotic coffee varieties they've invested in. Though the yields are low and the Sudan Rume varietal is susceptible to disease, the cup quality is of exceptional quality thanks to meticulous attention to detail.
Biotrē™ 2.0 has outer layers are made from wood pulp and cellulose from wood pulp. In Biotrē™ 2.0 with Natural Kraft paper on the outside, the outer layers make up approximately 60% of the material by weight and have been shown to break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks when tested using conditions from a test method called ASTM D6868. The interior, sealable layer in Biotrē™ 2.0 is made of a plant-based, renewable resource, sugar cane. This is a durable i.e., non-biodegradable, layer made from renewable plant sources. The greenhouse gas CO2 is absorbed and reduced during the plant’s growth.
Biotrē™ takes a comprehensive approach to being environmentally friendly.
- Waste Reduction – Biotrē™ can reduce the amount of packaging that ends up in long term waste storage like a landfill.
- Biotrē™ 2.0 – with the outer layers breaking down naturally in a composting environment in a relatively short period of time, packages can be processed in a home compost to convert 60% of material (Biotrē™ 2.0 are not recommended for municipal or industrial composting). The inner layer can be removed from compost if found and disposed of with normal trash. 60% less material goes to the landfill.
- Climate Change – The plant-based components that go into Biotrē™ (wood pulp, sugar cane, and corn) absorb the greenhouse gas CO2 through natural plant respiration prior to being used to make Biotrē™ packaging. Absorbing and reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere helps stem the tide of global climate change.
- Natural Resources - Biotrē™ preserves our natural resources by reducing the use of finite fossil fuel and mineral resources and promoting the use of cyclical, sustainable sources. While most barrier packaging is made from almost exclusively petroleum-based plastics or aluminum foil, Biotre® film layers consist of anywhere for 60% to nearly 100% renewable plants.
Weekly ordering deadline is Tuesday at 9am. Orders placed before this time are roasted, packaged and shipped by Wednesday. All orders received after this time are subject to shipping the following week depending on overflow.
Our current shipping rates are as follows:
Local Delivery Rates within 2km
$5.00 for orders between $0-$20
$2.50 for orders between $20-$40
FREE for orders over $40
Canadian Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$36
$10 for orders between $36-$75
FREE for orders over $75
US Shipping (with tracking)
Standard rates for orders between $0-$100
FREE for orders over $100
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh